Go to Town!
The future has an old joke: "No one lives in the cities anymore; they're too crowded!"
My new book with Anders Sandberg is Cities on the Edge and can be bought from here
Tomorrow's towns in Transhuman Space have certainly evolved from eras past, and there's no doubt that they're still vibrant, exciting places. Cities on the Edge is your guide to the dangers and delights to be discovered downtown.
Written by noted transhumanist and futurist Anders Sandberg, with science journalist Waldemar Ingdahl, this gigantic guidebook includes:
- A tour of cities in 2100, from an overview of what they are and have become, to a look at what makes the towns of tomorrow tick. Unearth the allies and enemies of urban areas. Learn how police, health, disaster management, transport, and trade in the cities of Transhuman Space work. Discover how they're run, and what happens when it all goes wrong . . .
- A look at the bleeding edge of advanced architecture. Ultra-modern metropolises include mile-high skyscrapers, giant arcologies, biological buildings, high-density communications, and more!
- Insight into urban culture: gray-collar crime, animated graffiti, urban AIs, self-configuring hotels, and other elements that make downtown dynamic.
- A huge worked example: Stockholm in 2100! Visit the capital of Sweden, where eco-engineers discuss the restoration of the Baltic in trendy bistros run by Russian refugees; surrendering your privacy is so last year; and flaunting your naked brain in public is the height of fashion.
- A sample scenario: "In the Walls," a murder mystery that centers on Stockholm. Whodunit, and how?
The future is a foreign country, and there's perhaps no better place to witness the wonders of the world than by visiting the grandest of the global villages. With Cities on the Edge, you're at the center of excitement!